Answers to Competency Validation Quiz for Drug Regimen Review
Note: References or resources may be used in answering these questions.
1. The patientís medication list includes (check all that apply):
_x_ prescription drugs
_x_ over the counter drugs
_x_ herbal remedies
__ nutritional supplements
2. Components of the CMS drug regimen review include (check all that apply):
_x_ duplicate drug therapy
_x_ ineffective drug therapy
__ improper storage of drugs
_x_ significant drug interactions
_x_ noncompliance with drug therapy
__ patientís knowledge of purpose of each drug
_x_ significant side effects
3 .List at least three resources for assistance in completing the drug regimen review:
PDR, drug handbooks, computer programs, Internet, nurses, pharmacists
4. Match generic and brand names below:
A. Lasix __C_ insulin glargine
B. Coumadin __D_ morphine
C. Lantus __E_ rofecoxib
D. MS Contin __A_ furosemide
E. Vioxx __B_ warfarin
5. Match the drug with its category:
A. furosemide __B_ Non-narcotic analgesic
B. Ultram __D_ Beta blocker
C. captopril __F_ NSAID
D. Lopressor __C_ ACE inhibitor
E. glyburide __A_ Diuretic
F. Aleve __E_ Oral hypoglycemic
6. List a common drug-drug interaction involving Coumadin.
Coumadin interacts with NSAIDs.
7. List a common drug-food interaction involving Coumadin.
Foods high in vitamin K interact with Coumadin.
8. What does the suffix "cet" and "APAP" mean?
Acetaminophen is an ingredient of the drug.
9. What would you do if your post-op joint replacement patient complains of constipation related to narcotics?
Encourage adequate fluids, fiber in diet, laxatives if needed.
10. What types of tablets should not be crushed?
Sustained-release tablets should not be crushed (SR, DR, CR).
11. Name a drug that is commonly prescribed for anginal chest pain.
Clinician name: ______________________ Date: _____________
Validated by: ______________________